GENERAL ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUMMARY
This position is primarily responsible for creating a proactive Health, Safety and Security (HSS) culture at the site consistent with Centerra Safety Systems. Specifically, this role will oversee, monitor and provide leadership and guidance to the management team, the HSS Teams and employees on all HSS related matters within the workplace. This includes ensuring timely reporting and open communications with the management team. The HSS function will maintain and regularly review all related documentation in line with legal and corporate requirements including Work Safe / Home Safe principles, issue updates and ensure documentation is communicated and readily available to all personnel as well as provide training as required.
• This position reports to the Project Director, Goldfields District
• The intended future for this position is site HSS Manager reporting to the General Manager
• There are no direct reports to this position at this time. This role will oversee the HSS compliance team of 3-4 members
• Lead, guide and operationalize the development and implementation of the Site’s and Centerra’s HSS culture, strategies and policies.
• Promote and lead HSS programs that support a leading-edge safety culture.
• Build, lead, and direct the HSS Teams
• Act at <SME subject Matter expert for safety matters during engineering and construction.
• Provide input and support to the Site construction and operating teams.
• Provide interpretation and guidance to the Site to ensure accurate information on HSS regulations and proposed regulations affecting the industry and the business.
• Assist all construction and operating departments in their efforts to remain free of injury, significant and security incidents as well as any HSS regulatory violations through the initiation of facility and regulatory monitoring and oversight. If deficiencies exist, keep the site leadership/management team informed and work with responsible site and project personnel to correct deficiencies as required.
• Propose and guide the implementation of the most economically feasible solutions to HSS issues facing the operation.
• Maintain contact with appropriate government and regulatory authorities.
• Review and provide direction and guidance for significant incident root cause analysis investigations and follow-up.
• Review and provide leadership and training for site emergency response and management teams.
• Provide input, support and implementation of any HSS related community, government and public relations strategies and initiatives.
• Liaise and coordinate best practices with other sites/projects counterparts within Centerra.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Must have the ability to communicate effectively with professionals from different backgrounds as well as have demonstrated organizational team building and structuring skills.
• Must be able to leadership and influence to execute HSS programs.
• Proven ability to develop and implement HSS management strategies.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION
• A relevant university degree and a minimum of 15+ years of relevant HSS, or related applicable experience, most of which will be within the regional and global mining industry. The ability to attain a related HSS Professional Designation would be considered a definite asset.
• Knowledge and experience with green and brown field mining projects and related construction risks is a requirement.
• Knowledge and experience with Nevada OHS regulations and working environments is a requirement.
• Must also have previous experience effectively developing relationships with governmental and non-governmental organizations.